Worthwhile press conference happening today in BC outlining the upcoming campaign to ban plastic "microbeads" from household items such as cosmetics, soaps and toothpastes. The press conference is being hosted by MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert; check it out if you can make it down.
Location: 923 Denman St (Vancouver West End MLA office)
Time: 11am, Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Hosts: Surfrider Foundation Vancouver and MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert
Social: #banthebead #bcpoli #surfridervan
1. Environmental impacts and recent BC marine findings by Dr Peter Ross.
2. Recently identified human health risks.
3. Infrastructure impacts should the products stay on shelves in BC.
4. Current seafood available in Vancouver identified to have significant toxicity risks due to microplastics.
5. Products and manufacturers using microbeads
6. Manufacturers leading the change to remove microbeads from their products.
"Surfing, alone among sports, generates laughter at its very suggestion, and this is because it turns not a skill into an art, but an inexplicable and useless urge into a vital way of life."