Worthwhile press conference happening today in BC outlining the upcoming campaign to ban plastic "microbeads" from household items such as cosmetics, soaps and toothpastes. The press conference is being hosted by MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert; check it out if you can make it down.
Location: 923 Denman St (Vancouver West End MLA office)
Time: 11am, Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Hosts: Surfrider Foundation Vancouver and MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert
Social: #banthebead #bcpoli #surfridervan
1. Environmental impacts and recent BC marine findings by Dr Peter Ross.
2. Recently identified human health risks.
3. Infrastructure impacts should the products stay on shelves in BC.
4. Current seafood available in Vancouver identified to have significant toxicity risks due to microplastics.
5. Products and manufacturers using microbeads
6. Manufacturers leading the change to remove microbeads from their products.
No swell ended up coming in for the camping trip (summer time; awesome for weather, not the best for surf), but still managed somehow to have a great time for a few days - I don't know how that could be possible when your hanging out at a place like this.
Beach fire to keep the fog and cold away at night is always necessary!
Making up a big dinner - so necessary when you've had a hard day of going on small hikes and having a nap or two in the sun. It's a rough life.
Just finished up a new fish and ready to get out for a weekend of camping on the beach and surfing in the sun. Can't beat that at all. Not so much swell coming in, but this should do just the trick for some small fun waves, and hey if nothing else, can work on the tan and enjoy some good company and maybe a frosted beverage or two!
Hopefully see some folks out there enjoying the day!
"Surfing, alone among sports, generates laughter at its very suggestion, and this is because it turns not a skill into an art, but an inexplicable and useless urge into a vital way of life."